Sunday, March 10, 2019

Freedom


I did a quick Internet search of the most common feelings one feels when diagnosed with terminal cancer. I was trying to find out if I am the only one who feels just the slightest bit of relief. Apparently, I am.

A few years ago, I had a tiny, little identity crisis of sorts. I was in my late 30s, unmarried, no kids. It was the perfect setup for a life of freedom, but I was starting to panic because I wasn’t taking advantage of that freedom at all. I should be traveling the world or something, I thought, but instead I had been living in boring Dallas for seven years, just working and going to school, all the typical stuff. Suddenly I found myself launching a new school with the idea of seeing it through until our first class reached 8th grade – 6 more years (gasp!). Life was really good, but I knew I had jumped onto a hamster wheel that I wasn’t going to be able to jump off anytime soon.

The school opened, and I am surrounded every single day by a staff of powerful, dynamic women who inspire me to do and be better. I have 460 girls whose faces light up when they see me in the hallway, who give the best hugs, who can’t wait to tell me all of the random things. I work with the most incredible leaders, who are among my best friends and a constant source of love and laughter. My niece and nephew live just up the highway, and watching them grow up and forming bonds with them is simply incredible. These are the soul-boosting, spirit-lifting things that bring so much joy to my life.

But, still, life is sort of a trap. For every soul-boosting moment, there is a soul-sucking one – bills and deadlines and exhaustion and conflict and social media and politics and the ever-ticking of time and on and on and on. Life lures you in with all of the shiny things (see previous paragraph), and then forces you through the slog day in and day out. It is wonderful and horrible all at the same time.

Then I found out I have cancer, and my first thought was, “Finally, now is my chance to get off the hamster wheel and make the most of life.” I spent my entire day yesterday communicating with people that I love and admire, telling them just how much I love and admire them. Nothing but soul-boosting. I have heard that we should all “live like we are dying,” but it doesn’t really work like that. You can’t live like you are dying if you aren’t actually dying.

Cancer is scary, and I don’t know what is going to happen next, but rather than see in it impending death and doom, I see the rare opportunity for life – pure, unencumbered life, even if only for a short time. And when I find some treatment that works, I’ll happily jump back on the wheel, spinning, spinning, spinning, but with my soul filled all the way to the top.

13 comments:

Dixie said...

Love this and love you.

Nina said...

I love these (hard, heartbreaking, wonderful) thoughts Jennifer. Thank you for sharing it with us! Praying for years and years and years of you enjoying it all!

Linsley said...

Love, love, love and love again. Oh that damn hamster wheel...

Katie Krummeck said...

Jennifer -- you are such an inspiration to me. You have been since I first met you and now I am even more in awe of how you are choosing to move into this phase of your life and the fight ahead of you. Please know how much you make the world a better place and how glad I am to know you. Please let me know if you need anything I can give from afar -- a chat on the phone, a delivery pizza, whatever! You are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

We are grateful that you choose to share your thoughts with all of us. It is why you have such meaningful connections in your life. Lots of love..and pizza..or gum..or whatever ��—MM

Jessica Johnson said...

So much truth in this! Love you lots!

Ashley Conery Semingson said...

Turner where do I even start! I appreciate your openness and willingness to let us all join along side you during this journey. Please know I am praying for you.

Kimberly Carley Bowman said...

Turner, you have an assiduous army of sorority sisters praying for and sending love and light your way!! xoxo, Kim Carley Bowman

Toni Barger Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Toni Barger Lindsey said...

Turner! You are truly an inspiration! Your love for life has always been contagious and even battling cancer your sweet spirit shines through! Know that you've got an army of prayer warriors surrounding you - especially your Chi O pledge sisters! Thank you for sharing your journey with us - you are such a strong woman! Love you sister!!!! With lots of prayers, Toni Barger Lindsey

stephaniehparker said...

I love you so much and I hate that we aren’t as close now like we were for our whole childhood. We were almost inseparable for 18 years and then we both went off to college and went our separate ways. But you are still the closest thing I had to a sister and you’ve always held this very, very special place in my heart. Talking to you tonight made me realize how much I’ve missed you. I don’t know what to say or how to even express what I feel. You were always the writer and the one with all of the right words to write or say. I love you and I want to do or be whatever you need. I want this to be wrong. I’m praying for a miracle and I spent a long time on my face on the floor tonight after we got off the phone, begging God for this to be wrong. I want you to be able to get off the hampster wheel, but not like this. I want you to be able to go and travel and see and do...under your own terms and not under this diagnosis. I always say the wrong things and sometimes I say nothing because I’m scared of saying the wrong things. Just know I love you, I’m praying for you, and I’m asking all of my prayer warrior friends to intercede for you as well. ����❤️����

Bob Madaio said...

Soul boosting honesty. Damn amazing, I say. Just landed in Houston for a couple days, which reminded me of your first post, and led me to this one. Will be thinking of you.

Rochelle said...

Pure, unencumbered life...❤️
#LifeGoals
Snapping my fingers like Teaching Trust!