Thursday, May 16, 2019

Some bright morning when this life is over, I’ll fly away

Well, that bright morning has come.  Jenn passed away peacefully early this morning with family by her side and fully feeling the love that you were sending her way.

When she last posted, she was racing with all her might to beat her cancer.  She even seemed to be gaining ground as she had her most promising MD Anderson visit just last week.  But, it’s now clear the cancer had been given too much of a head start.  As is sometimes the case in life, this wasn’t a fair race – had it been, the cancer wouldn’t have stood a chance.

The time for farewells and final to-dos came faster than our hopeful minds had ever expected.  Thankfully, although bittersweet, the most important things got done.  Well, except for one – Jenn never got around to writing her last blog post.  As a family, we wanted to share a final installment, so here it goes.

Jenn had so many friends and family that she adored, including many of you reading this.  Your relationships were forged in places from DeWitt to Dallas, Fayetteville to Nashville, Potrero Grande to Pleasant Grove, SMU to Solar, and all points in between.  So many of you shared your love and well-wishes with Jenn and our family through calls, texts, emails, posts, videos, visits, acts of support, and prayers.  Jenn was deeply touched by each one and loved each of you.

With her Solar Prep family, including staff, students, parents, and supporters, Jenn kept loving and leading until the end.  You were her pride and joy.  You have collectively created a school and a model for education that is life-changing for all involved.  You are each so talented and passionate – you have what it takes to use Solar as a springboard to change the world.  Jenn’s expectation for you is to do nothing short of just that.  Thanks to you all for expressing your love and appreciation to Jenn – she was honored and humbled by your outpouring.

For our family, as hard as this journey has been, we will cherish the memories.  Mom and Dad are so proud of Jenn and love her without limit.  They have been there for her through thick and thin, from birth to death.  They took care of their baby so well in this battle.  My wife, Suzanne, was like a rock for Jenn – when none of us knew what to do or how to do it, Suzanne took control.  Finally, my children, Whit and Emory, have been so brave – they’re losing not only their aunt, but their best friend.  Yet, their hugs, laughter, and adoration never stopped – they were fuel for Jenn’s engine.

We’ll have time at upcoming celebrations to appreciate Jenn’s impact and to reminisce about good times with her.  So, I won’t write about that here.  Instead, I’ll close by sharing a little bit of Jenn with you.  On her last day of lucidity, she gave me three books to give to Whit and Emory.  Jenn had a passion for the written word, and these were Jenn’s favorite books from her childhood.  Jenn hoped that by sharing them with my kids, they will have a connection that lasts forever.  Below is one quote from each book.  In combination, they sum up for me who Jenn was and how she would want us to think about her farewell.  Rest in peace, Jenn.

“When you come on something that is good, first thing to do is share with whoever you can find; that way the good spreads out to where no telling it will go” 
The Education of Little Tree, Forrest Carter

“How can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?”
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers

“We’ll leave now, so that this moment will remain a perfect memory… let it be our song and think of me every time you hear it.”
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith

With love,
Chris Turner

21 comments:

Tawana Watson said...

Jenn will definitely live on in the hearts of many, many friends and of course, family! Heartbreaking! Much love & continued prayers for her family❤❤

John Whiteside said...

Hooo, so many tears. I will miss Jennifer terribly. Thank you for the post Chris. There are now words, but just know how much we loved Jennifer and your family.

Liz Nalley said...

Jennifer was a pledge sister I especially liked and loved to be around. She was always vivacious, fun and easy going. I grieve with you. When the time is right, I will introduce my daughter to those three books in memory of and in honor of Jennifer.

Janis Sollars said...

Such sweet words, Chris. Jennifer was so loved by so many and she touched and enriched so many lives. She will be missed. Much love and prayers for her family.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer's entire SMU Doctoral Cohort was very saddened to hear the news of someone we were able to know all to briefly on this earth. We are studying what it means to be human, we know that in part that means we love and we grieve. Today especially we grieve and recall what an amazing part of our class Jennifer was and the role she will play going forward in our group as we always remember the special person she was to all of us. The word we all seem to use most is "inspirational." She will be so missed. Please post details of the services to come. Brad and Cohort 4 SMU DLS

Chika04 said...

I feel honored to have worked with someone as passionate for education like Ms. Turner was. As a new teacher she always offered her support and inspired me to become better. She was a true inspiration for everyone. You will be missed. My condolences to her family.

Sonia said...

I feel like I have lost a friend. Yet, just knowing JT for this short time has been amazing. She always had a smile to share, always had a profound question in class, gave me the opportunity to meet the wonderful students and teachers at Solar Prep. The first time she asked me to talk to the girls at Solar I hesitated. After all, these were little, bitty people with lots of energy - none of which would be used to describe me or my personality. But I said yes, of course, and was hooked from the first time I stepped into the school. As we toured, JT and I, she was greeted by smiling little girls who wanted her attention and by staff who, it was obvious, adored her.

I know she will be missed. I certainly know I will.

Love You JT!!!

Sonia said...

Sorry, incomplete sentence: "I KNOW SHE WILL BE MISSED. I CERTAINLY WILL MISS HER!

Nina said...

She will be missed dearly. What a light. I’m praying for her students, friends and family.

Linsley said...

The impact Jennifer has made on me and my life is impossible to describe. Her unwavering love, passioned energy, and deep commitment to solving the hardest problems changed my core and will continue to change others for years to come. I am grateful to have truly shared a life with her, and I look forward to the many ways she will continue to change lives daily.

Thank you, Chris, Suzanne, Whit, Emory, Carolyn and Terry for making her exactly who she was. She loved with her whole heart every single day, and because of her, so do I.

Amelia Giddens said...

“Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭4:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Great is thy faithfulness. We love you and we will always remember you Ms. Turner!

Whitney Hurwitz said...

I am sending love and prayers to your family during this difficult time. I had the privilege of meeting Jen when we were put in the same small group while getting our masters at SMU. She made me laugh, always gave great advice, and was one of the most optimistic people I knew. I remember her telling me about the school she was helping start and it was incredible to watch her go through the process of applying to open the school, research how to make it the best place possible, and then watch her dreams for it come true. Earlier this year I was lucky enough to reconnect with Jenn and she took me to Solar and gave me a tour--it was nothing short of amazing. I'd be lucky to send my daughters there one day. I wanted to share with your family that during our time together at SMU she talked about you all so much and with so much love. She would brag on her niece and nephew and share with me pictures and milestones they were going through. I remember thinking, "they are so lucky to have such an amazing aunt!" It's hard to imagine this world without Jenn in it, and I'm going to miss her very much.

Deepak Gurbani said...

She was indeed a great personality. We will miss her. We love you Ms. Turner. You will always in our heart.

Kathy Terry said...

Sending love to your family. While I never met Jennifer, I know she was a strong and loving woman because I know her mother is a strong and loving woman.

Anonymous said...

Through the last years I have watched Jennifer's talents and caring soul shared with so many. She not only demonstrated how to be an extraordinary educator, but also a person making other people's lives better. You could see the happiness in her face, especially with her family. I am so sorry that she will not be here on Earth, but thankful that it was possible for me to watch her making such a positive influence on so many. Charles Albert's and my prayers are for all of you, Carolyn, Terry, Chris, Suzanne, Whit, and Emory. God bless you with comfort and love. Thank you for sharing Jennifer with all of us.
Dana Horton

Unknown said...

I've always adored your family thanks for your words Chris I pray for your family for peace and comfort from Jesus I pray he wraps your family in his arms thru the difficult time

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I met Jennifer Turner, on March 9th, 2016, in a room full of parents who weren't sure about this new school, this new vision she had for our girls. We were in a cafeteria on Ross Avenue, with a vendor in the corner and all these parents eyeing each other, unsure who to sit with.

We'd been sent an acceptance email on the 16th of February, and though I'd sent in our acceptance letter already (on a friend's brillant advice), I was...unsure. That evening, surrounded by other equally unsure families, I saw, through her enthusiasm, that promise. This school was going to be different. And it was, and it is. And that other family is still here, as are we, and our girls are thriving.

Jennifer knew all the girls' names, from nearly the first day. She professed to be not-quite-fluent in Spanish before being perfect at every occasion she needed to pull out her skills. She knew us parents, even when we barely knew each other. She was a model for us - I still get hugs from girls who only know me as my kids' mom, who see a supporter in me because Jennifer taught all of us about caring for every single person in our community.

I wasn't an easy parent to deal with - most of us weren't. Jennifer made us feel welcome, no matter how stubborn or selfish our views on uniforms, or bullying or anything in between. Not that she ever let anyone roll over her - Ms. Turner had a proper response for when we'd been errant, but she always let us know we'd stepped out of line with grace and poise. I can't imagine how wonderful it must have been to be one of her students, given that rare combination of strength and love.

I'll always remember Jennifer as a wonderful mentor for my girls and for me. She taught me so much more than I even thought I needed to learn. For that, I am forever grateful that Jennifer was a part of our lives. Be proud.of her. I am. We all are.

Anonymous said...

Would there perhaps be an email address I could share my condolences and thoughts to? I am a better person and forever changed due to Jennifer’s presence in my life.

Lindyn Kish said...

I will miss Jenn so much. I met her for the first time in the early years of Teaching Trust on a very hot day in the summer when TK and I went out to her school to do a training that the campus had "won". : ) I think it was a full day on classroom observation and feedback. Maybe data meetings. That was the first time I got to see her leadership in action. School was out, but she and her team were as focused as ever. Jenn was such a big part of the Teaching Trust community. I felt so honored to work with her and the Solar team this year during their participation in our Leadership Teams program. At each monthly coaching visit, Jenn, Olivia, and Nancy knew exactly what they wanted to discuss and problem-solve. I loved observing classrooms with Jenn because she knew the teachers and students SO well, and she was always eager for feedback or advice on what needed improvement. She was so tuned into everything - the academics, culture, adult dynamics. She cared deeply about it all, and wanted nothing more than to be her very best in order to help others discover and be their best. I feel so fortunate to have known and learned from Jenn and just want to thank her mom and dad for raising such a beautiful and generous human being. I will take forward everything I learned from her and will cherish her memory for the rest of my life.

Natalie Chapman said...

Jennifer and I taught together at JQA for two years. I loved that she would always support and run with my crazy ideas for our students. She was kind, smart and innovative - such a light.

Natalie Chapman said...

Jennifer and I taught together at JQA for two years. I loved that she would always support and run with my crazy ideas for our students. She was kind, smart and innovative - such a light.