Saturday, March 9, 2019

I'll Fly Away

Quick trip to the beach in January

Hi, y'all, it's been a long time.

This blog has been lying dormant for years, but it seems like the right place to post about my new cancer journey. Let me start from the beginning to get everyone up to speed. 

I started having mild abdominal pain in November. It was getting worse, more consistent by December, but between work and doctoral classes, I didn't have time to think much about it. I saw a doctor in early January. She thought it was probably just an upper GI issue that would resolve itself. I returned a month later for a physical and bloodwork. The pain was still there, and I could feel a mass in my abdomen. The doctor suspected my gall bladder was inflamed. The bloodwork came back showing elevated liver enzyme levels. This confirmed the doctor's suspicions about the gall bladder, but she wanted to rule out any liver issues, so she ordered an ultrasound. 

The doctor called Tuesday morning to say the ultrasound showed masses on my liver. The next day, I had an MRI, and by the afternoon, a cancer diagnosis. The cancer I have is cholangiocarcinoma, a rare cancer of the bile ducts. Because the tumor is already so massive and is covering a lymph node and blood vessels, it cannot be removed. A liver transplant is also not an option. I have an appointment with an oncologist week after next, but the purpose for chemotherapy will only be to shrink the tumor to hopefully create greater comfort and quality of life. There is no cure, and the cancer is known to be very lethal. My next steps are to seek a second opinion at MD Anderson in Houston and explore the options for possible clinical trials. 

I know this is very heavy news, but please know that I don't need a single thing other than lots of love, healing energy, and prayers. I'll keep posting updates here. Lots of love.


17 comments:

Becky Shook said...

Praying for you Jennifer- sending lots of love and positive healing energy your way!

Reagan M. D. said...

Lots of prayers & love coming your way!

Eleanor said...

Oh, Turner. Ugh. Crap. I wish I knew words or stuff or anything but just know I love you and you are awesome.

Unknown said...

I just told Nat yesterday that I hoped you would start writing!! Love, prayers, and good energy coming your way!!

Jennifer Towle Wolcott said...

Love, hugs, & prayers Turner❤️������

Alice Curtis said...

This is tough and hard to even fathom. Turner you are so real, always have been. Your approach and your words are exactly you. I do hope and pray and give nothing but good energy for a cure, quality of life and time. ❤️����. Please know your support is far and wide and we care deeply for you.

Gaymarie Vaughan said...

We already miss you in class, but I know we all will be praying non-stop for you.

Keri H. Morton said...

Jennifer, I don’t even know what to say but please know I will be praying for you through this journey!! Love you, friend!

Jennifer said...

Thank you to everyone!!! Lots of love

Rochelle said...

Hanging on to every word! A Seven Year Hiatus? Glad you’re back.

Rachel Mitchell said...

Jen- no words. Really. Just love to you.

Alicia Adam's ( layman) said...

Many thoughts and prayers !love you!

Dana Vee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dana Vee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana Vee said...

JT, I don’t have any words other than I love and will be praying for you. Our God is bigger than anything we may go through and has you!!! Dana Vee

erinrodell said...

Amiga, my heart is with you. You are a fantastic human with a generous soul. Though I haven't seen you in years, I think of you often. I think about that weekend I spend in your pueblo. The house with the bird poop EVERYWHERE! Traveling to Dominical and drinking boxed wine on the beach. And lots of other adventures.
I don't know what to say but know that your honesty is a brave act. I am in awe of you. Abrazotes XO Erin R

Andrea Black Champlin said...

Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear this news. My father-in-law is at MD Anderson right now and they are the best in the world. I'm praying for peace for you and for a cure for this horrible cancer. I enjoy keeping up with you on Facebook. I admire the work you do with and for children. Please know that you are in my thoughts and I'm keeping you in my prayers.