Friday, May 30, 2008

How many days

A lot has happened since I last wrote. Where to start? How about last Thursday when I was standing on the side of the highway waiting to flag down a bus to take me to San Jose for a mid-year meeting when something stung me on the arm. It was raining, I'd forgotten my umberella, I had a terrible cough and cold, and my arm was hurting like crazy. Good thing I already had an appointment with the doctor the next morning.

After a full physical exam and an X-ray of my lungs, dear Dr. Longworth determined I had bronchitis and an infection from the sting in my arm. So, I started taking antibiotics and carried on with the mid-service meeting. It rained all weekend, and I still wasn't feeling great, but hanging out with people like me helped a lot.

Dr. Longworth wanted to see me again Monday morning to make sure I was recovering well. With doctor's orders to skip school, I didn't hesitate to go along with other volunteers to my first ever soccer game. In Costa Rica, there is a rival between two teams - Saprissa and La Liga - and every family has a favorite. My family is for Saprissa, so naturally, I am too. I bought a jersey.

Of course, it was still pouring, so we bought parkas to wear over our new jerseys and headed out in a cab toward Saprissa stadium. Along the way, we stopped in a little bar for a bathroom break and beer. The only female in the room was sitting at the center of the bar in a red dress. She liked our Saprissa jerseys and welcomed us on in. Before we left, we bought her a tequila shot just in case we'd be back.

And we were. But not until we had danced and stomped and yelled and sang our hearts out with the rest of Costa Rica. It was so much fun, but the rain was getting old. My friend and I headed for the lady in red. Shortly after, two more of our friends appeared, and we continued the celebration until Saprissa scored a goal and won the game.

Dr. Longworth was pleased with my progress on Sunday and didn't chide me too much for standing and screaming in the rain. I made it back to Potrero Grande by late Monday afternoon and crashed as soon as I stepped into my bedroom. I fell asleep to the sound of rain hitting the roof and woke up to the same. I felt nauseated and exhausted. My room was so comfortable and cool, and the sound of the rain was so nice. I didn't go to school but instead slept and read a book all day.

It was just what I needed. When I woke up Tuesday, it was still rainy and cool, and I felt great. Finally, I was well. But it just kept on raining. On Tuesday night, the electricity went out just after I turned out my light. Any other night without a fan, I would have drowned in a pool of my own salty sweat, but that night was cool and comfy. It rained all day Wednesday, too, which is when I finally figured out we were in a tropical depression. It was wonderful.

Elections were held at the school Thursday, and it was chaos all day long. The pouring rain didn't stop the kids from playing soccer or wrestling or chasing each other through mud puddles. Everyone's school uniforms were soaked. I've never seen the kids so happy. There were no classes most of the day so that the two "political parties" could spread propoganda (candy and yarn bracelets) throughout the school.

They voted this morning (Friday), and my group won.

Yesterday afternoon (Thursday), my host family took a field trip to look at the river. I was starting to realize all the rain was getting dangerous. While I was rejoicing over the break from the heat, people in other parts of Costa Rica were losing their homes. The bedroom of one of my fellow volunteers got hit by a landslide.

Today the skies are sunny and blue, and I'm back to sweating like a pig. Still, it feels good to be well, safe and dry.

I have pictures to share, too, but I left them in my hotel room. Hopefully I'll be able to get them up before I catch the bus in the morning.

4 comments:

Brandon and Lauren Ryburn said...

I tried to call you last night.

"jennifer, por favor?" I asked this time instead of "may I speak to Jennifer?"

She said "No es ta". I guess that means "she's not here" because she hung up on me after that.

Anonymous said...

I hate to hear you've been swayed to the Saprissista side. At least they won while you were there. Aren't soccer games the best? I used to really enjoy going on Sun. afternoons to the stadium in Alejuela to the LIGA games. I love the little vendors who sell everything from chicarrones, to ice cream and orange juice. You must go back when its not raining. Pay extra for the sombra seats if its hot :)- Tara (texaskeys) P.S. Glad you're feeling better.

Jennifer said...

Too bad for you. Saprissa won the championship last week!

Anonymous said...

It alternates years. Check the history though, LIGA is best (and their stadium is pretty). The best though are the Nacional games when La Sele plays. I dated one of the players brothers and it was one of my most memorable experience in Tiquicia. Much more emotion than a Liga or Saprissa game (I went when they played El Salvador). Tara (texaskeys)