Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ready. OK.

My school has a cheerleading squad now made up of a few girls from each grade. A sixth-grader leads the practices, and they have been working hard all week, along with a group of marchers and flag bearers, in preparation for a big Independence Day celebration tomorrow and Monday.

The cheerleaders have been practicing with pom poms made out of shredded newspaper, but yesterday I helped a mom cut white plastic sacks into strips for more professional-looking ones. I remember one embarrassing year when I was a cheerleader and how we ordered pom poms from a cheerleading catalogue. They were big and fluffy, and we kept them in laundry bags decorated with puff paint. These girls wouldn't even know what to think about that.

I wish I hadn't been such a horrible cheerleader; I might be able to teach these girls how to cheer. They hop and tumble around in the most pitiful disarray I've ever seen. I can't wait to see them in the parade with their homemade red-and-white gingham dresses and caps and the plastic-bag pom poms. I wish I had a video camera.

No comments: