Friday, November 28, 2008

An Ode to Costa Rica






































By Lisa Ofstedal, WorldTeach volunteer 2008

We left our lives last year
The Americas to roam.
Land here in a daze
Costa Rica, our new home.

Everything's so new here
I'm in over my head.
Que? Como? Repita please!
Think I'll go back to bed

Piropos left and right
As I walk down the street.
Psst, psst, Mamacita!
Thank you, that's so sweet.

Moto, horse, or pick-up bed
The ways to get around.
Where's the seatbelt? A helmet, at least?
Nah, we're safe and sound.

The kids, they are real cute
But they'll drive you to your limit.
FINISHED, Teacher, FINISHED FINISHED!
Just shut up a minute!

Regalame una cerveza
Imperial will do.
It tastes a lot like water
But at least it goes down smooth.

Pinto first for breakfast
Rice and beans for lunch.
What could be for dinner?
I think I have a hunch.

Our poor digestive systems
Never quite at ease.
If it ain't too fast, it's moving too slow
Pass the pepto, please.

A multicultural romance
As the months grow long.
"Should we go back to your place?"
"Well, I'll have to ask my mom."

Hitting up a baile
Our dance skills there to hone.
How about some CUMBIA!!
Merengue, reggaeton.

Costa Rica, you've done me good
This trip, it was a boon.
Now I have two happy homes
I'll not forget you soon.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What a great poem! Your fellow volunteer is muy talente. :)