Friday, March 22, 2019

Next steps


Quick summary of oncologist consultation: My best course of treatment seems to be getting into a clinical trial. My favorite choice is to join a trial at MD Anderson, but first genetic testing must show that I am eligible for the trial. I don’t know how long genetic testing takes at MD Anderson (they have requested tissue samples from my biopsy already), but at Baylor it takes 6-8 weeks. The danger is that my liver function declines so much between now and the time genetic testing is complete that I have to start chemotherapy. Undergoing chemotherapy, however, would make me ineligible for a clinical trial. So, the hope now is that:

1) My liver continues to function well until genetic testing is complete;
2) Genetic testing shows that I am eligible for clinical trial at Anderson;

Or

1)    If I have to start chemotherapy and am unable to enter clinical trial, the FDA approves trial drugs for general use very soon.

There are a few other complicating details, but this is the gist. Thanks for all of your warm wishes, positive thoughts, prayers, and love.

4 comments:

Liz Nalley said...

https://decample.tumblr.com/
Matt recently passed away, but here’s a catalog of his experiences you might find interesting.

Katie K said...

Keep taking those next steps.... Lots of love and thoughts about what you are facing.

Joyce Reed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joyce Reed said...

Love reading your blog Jennifer. Thank you for sharing. Love.....