Saturday, April 26, 2008

The ants go marching

There's a bat that likes to hang out in my bathroom. Here he is hanging from a sports bra hanging from a towel rack above my toilet.

A fellow volunteer told me about how a snake bit a cow in a town near hers and killed the cow almost instantly. My friend happened to be enjoying a noontime beer with a new friend in that town when the farmer drove by the bar and invited her and her new friend to watch him burn the venom-filled dead cow. My friend bought some beer to go and hopped in the back of the truck. By the time they made it through downtown, there was a truckload full of people heading to the cow burning. A cow burning! With beer! Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

But the coolest thing I've seen is thousands of ants carrying red flower petals. The march begins at the base of the tree that has all of the red flowers. There are so many ants that they have worn away the grass and made a tiny little road -- a caminito, as they say in Spanish. I took a picture a few weeks ago, but it was already dark. The photo doesn't even come close to showing how cool the ants are with those big red petals.


No comments: