Thursday, July 3, 2008

Joke's on you

Back to the chinches, or as in my last post, in the feminine form, chinchas. The last time I posted they were just tiny bugs about which kids tell cute little jokes.

Many times in my life, my dad and I have discussed a certain phenomenon that, as far as we know, is still unnamed. The phenomenon is that when you learn a new word, it suddenly starts to show up in the most unexpected places.

Take chinche, for example. I randomly learned the Spanish word when I caught a kid passing a note in class. I thought the joke was cute, so I posted it on this here blog just for the fun of it.

Then yesterday, at school, one of my first-graders, Carolina, came into class with a bloody stripe running lengthways across her face - from the center of one cheek, across her nose, to the center of another cheek. It looked like something had dug a shallow ditch across her face.

When I asked her what happened, she answered briefly, "Un chinche."

Somehow she didn't seem to think they were all that funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uh, Jen, I don't get the joke!
Glad you are learning proper dining etiquette!!
love ya,
Mrs. B