Thursday, July 3, 2008

Not even close

I love tamales, especially the Mexican kind that are a little spicy, made of god only knows what and wrapped in corn husks then stored in a coffee can for fresh keeping. When I was a kid, some guy used to come around selling them. That and shrimp.

They make tamales here, too, usually as a fundraiser – the equivalent of our bake sale. The parents of a particular class will get together, make tamales, then sell them for money to pay for various things at the school.

Note: Because the government has yet to pay me or my host family our monthly stipends, my host mom and I often joke about making tamales to raise money for ourselves.

The other morning when I got to school, I saw apron-clad women in the school’s outside kitchen (which is now also a classroom) and I knew it was a tamale day. And I love tamale days.

The tamales here are made of rice (of course) and filled usually with chicken or pork, then wrapped in palm leaves and cooked in a big pot over an open fire. They aren’t quite as good as the Mexican ones, but with a cup of coffee in the afternoon, they pretty much make my day.

It’s very important here tamales only be eaten with a cup of coffee, either in the afternoon or in the morning. Eating a tamale with a meal is horrible crime of etiquette. I should know. I ate a tamale with my lunch the first week I was here. Later, someone pulled me aside and politely informed me not to let it happen again.

At the time, I didn’t really see the big deal. I mean, the people here serve pasta AND potatoes AND rice all in one meal; talk about bad food etiquette. But now I can’t imagine eating a tamale with a meal. There are some things you just don’t do.

Today I saw a commercial for cold medicine. There was a crowd cheering on a guy who was riding a stationary bicycle outside in a track suit. When he was all hot and sweaty, he jumped off the bike, stripped down to shorts and a T-shirt and sank into a tub of ice water. I didn’t get the connection to cold medicine.

My host sister explained that in Costa Rica, the people believe that going from hot to cold or cold to hot makes a person sick. They would never iron clothes barefooted because a hot iron in one hand mixed with feet touching a cold floor would be a sure recipe for illness.

Seems strange to me, but so once did the tamale rule. This culture and I are becoming buddies, finally, I suppose.

Still, after five months here, I´ve learned that I’ll never, ever, ever really fit in. People will always be suspicious of me, always looking for some way to shove me into their stereotypes of American women – endlessly rich, sexually loose and easily taken advantage of.

Even if I stop taking cold showers after I run and continue to avoid tamales at meal time, I’ll always be just another gringa.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty great gringa, nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

That was me, Melissa, that left the earlier comment. I'm too dumb to figure out how to post anything but anonymous. (Smile)

Anonymous said...

Trying it again. Hey, did anyone say why to never eat tamales as nothing but a snack?

Anonymous said...

I did it!!!! BTW, Korry got a job at Disney world as a character just today! Isn't that fun??

Anonymous said...

Ok.... since "it just isn't done".... I'd HAVE to do it anyway.

I'd eat a tamale with every meal just to be stubborn!

Anonymous said...

So, um, is it b/c it's an appetizer or a snack? why? And you didn't know that cold/hot to cold again gets you sick??!

Hope all is going well there! Watch out for the bugs! I'm recovering from some nasty chigger bites right now.