Thursday, October 30, 2008

Paradise

Before I left for Costa Rica, I heard there was one place in the country a person just had to go - Manuel Antonio. I've been there twice before, and both times I left wondering what was so great about it.

Well, the second time I left, I was wondering if the hostel owners knew it was my visiting friends Dave and Linsley and I who used the hostel's entire supply of water flushing out the bungalow's sewage pipes. But that's for a different post.

For the past two weeks, I've been in Manuel Antonio taking a course to get my Teaching English as a Foreign Language certificate. While I'm still not very impressed with the town itelf, I did last weekend discover the national park.

Two friends of mine and I hired a guide to take us through the park and point out all the little critters and stuff. We'd just be walking along and the guide would squint into the forest and say, "Ah, here's something." When I tried to follow his gaze, all I could see was a bunch of trees.

Then he'd point his little telescope into the jungle and in the viewer would be a tiny little bat or a rainbow catapillar or the world's smallest humming bird or a crocodile eye peering up out of the water. My favorites were the sloths.

All of the pictures below were taken through the lense of the telescope. Are they called telescopes, or are telescopes only for looking at stars? I'm not sure.




5 comments:

Bellesouth said...

Well, the sloths certainly look like they're havin' a grand ole time.

As do you. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you went to the National Park AND hired a guide. It is impossible to see those darn sloths without one. I tried several times (being the frugal travler I am) and finally splurged on a guide who found them right away. Have you been to Volcan Arenal yet? That and La Fortuna (the catarata- waterfall) are also a high spot on my favorite in Tiquicia. ~ Tara

Holly said...

Wow, I loved these pics! Tried to go to your former blog a few weeks ago : (

Jennifer said...

Tara, yes, I´ve been to Arenal. It was awesome. We managed to see a clear view of the volcano early one morning. I didn´t go to the waterfall, though. Holly, I think the former blog is dead. No more languishing for me. And Eleanor, yes, I am having a grand ole time, thank you.

Linsley said...

Dammit! If only we hadn't been too beach drunk to figure out how to hire a guide.

Nevertheless (is that one word?), we had a hell of a time!
L.