Friday, November 7, 2008

Up next

If I weren’t so far away, we would do this face to face, maybe over dinner or on a long walk. But I’m here, and you’re there, so we’ll just have to do it this way. I am trying to figure out what to do next year. The thing is I am really, really ready to be home. I can hardly wait to see my family and sleep in my huge bed and eat a big, fat cheeseburger. I want to ride my bike and flush my toilet paper and talk to my grandmothers and hold my nephew and niece and catch up with my best friends. But those things should only take a month or so, so what do I do next?

Here are my options.

I could go to graduate school to become a certified ESL teacher in the United States. This would be great for my future. I’d always have a job, and it would be one that doesn’t require plane tickets, visa processing and learning new languages, etc. However, it would be expensive. And boring.

I could return to Costa Rica to teach English another year. I could stay in Potrero Grande another year, but that would mean volunteering again, which, by definition, doesn’t pay much. Or I could find a job teaching in another school, possibly a private school or language institute. However, most teaching jobs for English speakers are in the capital city of San Jose, and I hate San Jose. I’d love to find a job teaching in a school in the southern part of the country where I am now. I know the area and have strong contacts here. Living in Costa Rica another year would also let me learn more Spanish and spend more time at the beach. This is an expensive option but not a boring one.

I could move to a different Spanish-speaking country, maybe Chile or Argentina. But it’s difficult to find teaching jobs in South America without going there to look for them. I’d be able to learn more Spanish, though, and probably a better form of Spanish than the backwoods dialect I am picking up here. Also, I’d get to experience a new culture and know more of the world. Again, expensive but not boring.

I could move to Asia, maybe South Korea or Taiwan or Vietnam. This is where the money is. If I were to get a job in, let’s say, South Korea, my employer would buy my plane ticket, pay my rent, contribute money to a 401(k) equivalent and offer a great salary. But I would be living in Asia and wouldn’t be learning more Spanish. While it wouldn’t be boring, I don’t think it would be especially fun. Still, I could save a lot of cash and return after a year, and if the desire persists, I would have the money to travel to a more enticing place or pay for graduate school.

So you see my dilemma. Really my favorite option is to return to Costa Rica to teach another year. If I were writing the script, I would get a job at the new bilingual private school in Uvita and make enough money to fly home for a visit during the year. Unfortunately I’m not writing this script, so it seems I’ll either be living in Saigon or with my parents. Which is worse, do you think?

15 comments:

Danielle said...

Hrm, tough dilemma...could you come back to the states for a bit to figure it out?

Meghan said...

Siagon is worse. Or maybe I'm just saying that.

Michelle said...

I am no help, but I would just like to say that it's sad your version of boring sounds so exciting to me...

Anonymous said...

As the impending birth of my third child comes (Monday!) I say go back to Tiquicia (sorry, Meghan, I know you miss your friend). Seriously though, this is the only time in your life you may not be tied down to a job, commitments, a mortgage or a boy. Take advantage of that. I am glad I did and you will not regret it later in life. You will always draw from your experiences abroad. What about looking at language institutes or schools near the Cartago area. Have you traveled there and the surrounding area? Santa Maria de Dota is a gem! Look it up in your guidebook. I wish you best of luck in whatever you decide and appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. ~ Tara

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I like the Cartago area, and that definitely is an option. I'll be in the central valley in a few weeks. Maybe I'll look around then. Thanks for all your advice and for reading, and congratulations on number 3!

Chad Eiler said...

You could get a job at a McDonald's near home (possibly manage!) Then you would have money and eat all cheeseburgers you could choke down. If it was in northwest Arkansas, your Spanish speaking wouldn't get rusty. Then with your sweet McSavings, you could go back to school or travel or blow your brians out. Hope this helped.

Bellesouth said...

I'm a person who now believe in going on impulse.

So I say if your heart is in Costa Rica right now, maybe you should return to Costa Rica.

You are going to be visiting your old pals up in the NWA while you're around, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

I'm with Danielle....come home and we can discuss this face to face.

Do you have plans for New Years? Em and I are thinking spend it in LR. Linsley-you are going to be here right???

Lauren

shack said...

You also might consider looking into the Non-Traditional Licensing Program to teach Spanish or something. LOT'S cheaper than grad school and you could get a job by next fall. It's a little annoying and the hoops you have to jump through are also annoying, but it seems like a way better deal than grad school. Look at http://www.teacharkansas.org/
good luck!

Linsley said...

I can't say I know what to suggest. One side of me says to go with your gut and stay in Costa Rica. The other side says come home and save money working toward a career in the good ole U.S. of A.

Either way, I don't so much think Siagon sounds like fun, but that's just me.

Lauren and Em--I don't what I'm doing about New Years yet. In fact, I don't even know what I'm doing for Thanksgiving.

SeekingSilence said...

Personally Jen, I think South Korea sounds like it could be a lot of fun too.

I have a friend who has been over there for 3 years now. I'd be happy to get the contact info for the agency he goes through. The way I remember it, he was making about 1700/month tax free and his expenses were at most 700. So, after one year of that you'd have 12 grand to put toward grad school/ESL certification or whatever.

Plus, I just think Asia would be an entirely different cultural experience and a blast. I'd never be able to learn the language, but I would love to just experience it out there.

Even if it isn't South America (which you seem to prefer), I imagine the more cultures of which you expose yourself, the more valuable you will be from an ESL perspective in the American market.

SeekingSilence said...

And one more thing...

He works in Seoul which is a HUGE city with internet connections, showers, and toilet paper. You could keep up with us much easier than the 4 hour bus ride you are currently taking.

Just saying.

Anonymous said...

Stay abroad!!!

Why would you need grad degree to teach ESL?

Pete Christoph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pete Christoph said...

Blogger Pete Christoph said...

Hi, you have a great blog! I want to invite you to also cross-post your blogs on Central America Forum. It's a new site and so far mostly Costa Rica and Nicaragua. I myself am married to a Filippina and live in Costa Rica at present, though we might go back to the Phils. keep in touch, peter and milyn

November 28, 2008 5:45 PM