Friday, November 14, 2008

OJALÁ

Well, I've had a case of the bed bugs this week. After three fitful, itchy nights of sleep, my host family took my mattress outside to get some sun, and last night I slept like a baby. I didn't even lie awake pondering what I should do next.

I think I might have settled on a plan. But maybe not; you know me; I like to try my ideas on and wear them around awhile to see how they feel. So far, I've tried on Chile, South Korea and the United States, and none seem to fit just right. Now I'm mulling over Potrero Grande.

The director of my volunteer organization came for a visit on Wednesday. As we sat in my living room, she casually mentioned how bummed she was that she would have to cut four school from the program next year. To make a long story short, Potrero Grande might be one of those schools. It's too big, she says, and the water's bad. It's time they get a paid Costa Rican teacher. I think she's right. The school is too big, and they do need a full-time paid English teacher, but it's not going to happen for next year. Or it might not happen ever. The school's director is rather aloof when it comes to English.

And I'll be damned if I worked my butt off all year just to have the English program fizzle out. No sir. So I threatened that I just might stay and volunteer another year. That led to some negotiations with the WT director, who thinks she might be able to drum up a few more dollars for me. She says my school requires more work than any other school, going beyond the requirements of the volunteer contract. I'd still be short about a $1,000 for the year on living expenses, but if I could win the lottery or teach a few adult classes in the afternoons or on weekends, it just might work out. Oh, and I'd have to buy a new plane ticket.

If I did return next year, I'd move into a cabina, the closest thing my town has to an apartment. It's basically a hotel room with a kitchen sink, but it would be better than living in the house with my host family. They are great and all, but I just can't take another year of American rap blasting at all hours of the night and day. I don't like rap. Luckily my family owns the cabinas and would probably give me a good rate. And I could still eat a few meals with the family every week.

In January I would be able to help out with the new-volunteer orientation. I could take more Spanish lessons and meet the new batch of teachers, the people who would hopefully become my new friends. And just think about how much English my students would learn next year. Even in the two weeks since I completed the TEFL course, they've learned so much. With another whole year, the teaching opportunities would be endless.

Yes, I like the way this idea feels. I hope it works out.

No comments: