Friday, November 14, 2008

Woo pig

One of my favorite things to do in Costa Rica is laugh at people’s T-shirts. There are thrift stores here full of used clothing from the United States. Kids, especially in rural areas like mine, are always wearing some gringo’s leftover clothes. One kid in my town has a Cub Scout shirt, patches and all. Adults also wear the used clothing, especially men who work in the fields, so I’ve accumulated quite a collection of funny sayings found on T-shirts and hats. Usually the sayings aren’t funny on their own, only on the body of someone who has absolutely no idea what the words on the shirt mean. Here are my favorites:

1. Embroidered on the chest of a polo shirt: TRAILER PARK EXTREME POLO TEAM

2. On a bright orange T-shirt, in big letters: Hey man, you got a hemi in that thing? OK, this one's just funny on it's own.

3. On a T-shirt, written beneath a row of fighter jets: Can Osama come out and play? Keep in mind Costa Rica doesn't have an army.

4. On the hat of a very elderly man: Class of 2006

5. On the hat of teenager: I don’t have a drinking problem; my wife does.

6. On the T-shirt of the most popular boy in school: Treble Makers Choir Club

7. On the shirt of one of the most conservative, frumpy, sews-her-own-clothes mothers in my town: Heart Breaker Forever

8. On the T-shirt of a man on my bus: Rachel Tamaroff’s Bat Bitsmah

9. On the shirt of a middle-aged woman in line at the pharmacy, paired with a nice suit skirt and brown flats: Gold Digger

10. And my personal favorite:

6 comments:

Bellesouth said...

Awww.

i used to have a thrift-store shirt that said "Becky's 50 and I'm not." If I still had it I'd send it there. Along with lots of love.

Danielle said...

Ha! That's awesome! I love the "gold digger" shirt. Hehehe :)!

Anonymous said...

WE miss you Turner. Hopefully you'll be coming through DC for volume two of "The Greatest Day Ever" before you stay another year. Blessings, Steve

Jennifer said...

That was a great day, but sadly I don't think I'll make to DC anytime soon. If I buy a plane ticket, it will have to be to Costa Rica. Maybe you and Rachel should start saving for a Costa Rica vacation in 2009.

Linsley said...

If you stay, I guess I'll have to work a yearly trip into my budget.

Miss you!
L.

Anonymous said...

hillarious .. and I'm guessing you didn't bring that shirt with you... :) hope all is well, and I like your plan to teach another year.