Monday, March 5, 2012

Thanks but no thanks

So I'm really awful at interviews. When I was interviewing for teaching jobs in Dallas, I got turned down time after time. In fact, the only way I finally got hired was that someone quit two days before school started, and the principal was desperate. She had no choice but to hire me. The problem with me and interviews is that I'm just not good at stating my weaknesses in such a way that they sound like strengths. I'm not one for talking around the question. I could never be a politician. I just say it like it is then hear myself say it like it is then realize that saying it like it is is a really bad way to say it. But by then it's too late. I've already made a fool of myself in front of this person who is by now most definitely not my future boss.

Remember the time I was interviewing with Texas Teaching Fellows and I couldn't think of anything at which I had failed. Here's what I wrote about it at the time:

"As part of the interview process, I gave a five-minute sample lesson, participated in a group discussion, completed two writing samples -- one in English and one in Spanish -- and participated in a one-on-one personal interview, which was conducted in both Spanish and English. I know the lesson went well, and even the Spanish part was fine, but I'm not too sure about the rest. The worst part was the last question in the personal interview.

'When is the last time you failed at something, and how did you deal with that failure?'

My answer:

'Hmm, let's see... The last time I failed at something... Let me think about that... Well, I know I fail at things all the time... It's not that I think I'm perfect or anything, but... well, hmmm... You know, nothing's really coming to mind just right now... Nope, I can't think of a thing... Sorry...'

At least now I have an answer to that question."

And since that interview, I have compiled a half dozen or so more failed interviews. But maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to answer that question using failed interviews as examples, huh? That would just create another failed interview.

Oh, and the whole point of this post is to share that I did not get the job in Costa Rica. So we can also add that to the list. Meh.

4 comments:

Eddie said...

You did not fail at anything there. God's hand is in all that we do, and you were not the choice at the time. You are destined for greatness and I can see you on one of those travel channel shows detailing your journeys. My only hope is that you are happy along the way, oh and that you can teach someone. You are born an educator, and live as an instructor.

Jennifer said...

I totally agree, Eddie. I failed but I failed with purpose -- God's purpose. No sweat.

Bellesouth said...

The last time I interviewed I got clammy, my heart started palpitating and I became nauseated. It is a very trying experience. I like that my work now is based on my writing and not how well I can pull off a suit or whether or not I say the right thing. I do feel people are drawn toward their bliss if they follow it. That is what I see you doing.

Linsley said...

Having heard both stories, I'm pretty sure the most recent failed interview was a failure on the interviewers fault, not yours. You just couldn't win at that crazy game.